Neuro Linguistic Programming
Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) is often studied as a stand-alone modality in its own right but it is in fact a generic form of hypnosis and one of many of the techniques that a qualified clinical hypnotherapist may use. NLP works with our subconscious information processing via our preferred way(s) of understanding and learning often referred to as representational system(s). You may hear or read about the acronym VAK used in NLP circles to refer to our Visual, Auditory and Kinesthetic ways of perceiving information.
Some of the presuppositions underpinning the NLP "attitude used in many coaching approaches include:
- There is a solution to every problem
- People are not their behaviours - behind every behaviour there was or is a positive intention and in any situation a person makes the best choice with the resources currently available to them.
- "The map is not the territory" - people interact with their internal maps of the world rather than with pure sensory-based input
- Mind and body are part of the one system: external behaviour is the result of internal behaviour
- "Mistakes" are feedback - if what you are doing is not working then do something else
- Meet others in their own unique model of the world and respect their world view
- The meaning of your communication is the response you get
- People have all the resources they need even if they do not currently have access to these resources
NLP is a very powerful and positive model because of the emphasis it places on facilitating change and generating solutions. Having said that, there is no single "one-size-fits-all" approach and it can also be the case that we need to put some work into understanding the causes of our problems in order to be able to move forward with our solutions.
You will find that I incorporate a number of NLP principles and techniques in my work, usually in combination with whatever counselling, hypnotherapy or coaching methods are the "best fit" for you in your current situation.
Therapy and Coaching for Lasting Change in Williamstown is 15 minutes from the Melbourne CBD and within 30 minutes of many inner city and western suburbs including Port Melbourne, Albert Park, South Melbourne, Newport, Altona, Kingsville, Seabrook, Spotswood, Footscray, Yarraville, Sunshine, Maribyrnong, Keilor, Taylors Lakes, Essendon, Moonee Ponds, Hoppers Crossing, Werribee, Laverton and Point Cook.